Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happiness is Hot Tea and a Sunny Patch

Good morning sunshine!

As you all know, if you follow me on Facebook HERE, I am dealing with my yearly episode of strep throat. I don't know why but my whole family and I are so darn susceptible to it. My Dr.'s appointment was first thing this morning. Sure enough, hubby woke up during the night with a 102 fever and sore throat and headache. Bless his heart. So off we went as a couple this morning...on Valentine's Day...to the clinic. How romantic!♥ haha Not the best V Day gift for me to give him. :(

The girls were so excited today. I dropped them off at school wearing special red and pink outfits. They held their party bags full of little cards like it was diamonds and rubies! I remember those days. Party days and field trips made school fun. So much of that has been stripped away from the public school system. Time for fun, social time to bond and learn how to act in social situations. But I'll save that rant for later.

What I really wanted to share with you is how having strep throat has been a blessing. Yes, a blessing. It has forced me to slow down and rest. I can do so many things that don't require using my voice! Like writing you! Or snapping pics around the house, or doing laundry...wait a minute. That doesn't go on the fun list! 

So here are some little recent changes I've made around the house lately...

I've been into interesting antique shakers and apothecary jars lately. 


I love a crusty dented lid!



And I still adore old frames. I have a plan for this collection. Until I make it a reality they can just hang out here as a backdrop.


Remember my new friend Brenda I told you about? The one with the fabulous house whose crafts and style so inspired me? I borrowed this idea from her! She had a wire rack full of ironstone platters on her laundry room wall and I remembered that I had a wire rack in a closet AND tons of platters! I am thrilled with the result. Thanks Brenda!!♥




This picture stole my heart. This old farmer with his beautiful farm horses looks just like my grandfather (Grand Jack). I found it at Goodwill! It was in a new-ish ugly frame though. That same day I found this mother of pearl, VERY old antique frame there as well. I cut down the matted farmer picture and slipped it right in there. Perfect! And I think it cost me $2. Judging by the smile on his face, I imagine Mr.Farmer was pretty proud of  his "fine animals". They look well cared for and plump. Maybe times were good on the old homestead at this moment...


Or maybe he had strep throat but welcomed the break from the backbreaking farm work. Maybe he took a leisurely ride into town to check out a new tool at the feed store, while stopping for a piece of pie in the small diner on the square by the courthouse.  


Here's Cow-pernia! Remember the name Calpernia in To Kill A Mockingbird? I always loved saying that name. It's so old school southern, and I love the way it rolls off the tongue. Perfect for Miss Cow-Pernia.

 My mother in law got me this cute bottle drying rack from World Market this Christmas. I love the size of it, it fits perfectly into my hutch shelves!






These sweet and ornate little embroidery scissors were given to me by a friend recently. I bet they were well used by loving hands at one point. Hands with wrinkles and sun spots and soft, tissue thin pale skin



My little lamb ornament is my first touch of Easter around the house. She had a tired red velvet bow around her neck. I cut it off and added a paper flower and lace. I love this beat up old lamb. It reminds me that we are all lambs of God. God is our shepherd.  This means that we have free will to follow him or not. We often think that we tough enough to take care of ourselves without God. We all know that a shepherd cannot promise that the road will be easy, but that there is comfort and security in togetherness. That he will go down the rocky road with us and guide us. 

 What should we name little miss lamb? Any ideas?

Here is that old cheese box I bought off Etsy. It makes a perfect home for my antique flatware! 

I wrapped some of them up in a tea stained ribbon and added this old rhinestone broach. I love the tarnished patina. I think it was 50 cents. 


And look who found a spot of sunlight to doze in this morning!! Old Miss Shadow. Right there in front of our messy "shoe basket". My sweet ol' gal is almost 10 years old. She's my best friend, and my best behaved child. :) I tell her everything and she sure can keep a secret. She's a great listener too. All she asks in return is a chin scratch and a chew bone. That's all she needs in this world to be content...

After all...




Happiness is a sunny patch on a soft rug.



Happy Valentine's Day!
♥ Linsey and Shadow

p.s. The Farmhouse Porch made it into the March issue of Romantic Homes Magazine!! Yee-haw! Lots of great bloggers in there this month, so please pick up a copy♥




22 comments:

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

Hellooo Linsey!*!*!
Sooooo much News... CoNGRaTuLaTioNs on your FaB spot in the Magazine!!! - Way-To-Go!*!*! and I can just picture your darling girls **All Dressed Up** for School/Valentines ToDay...
Hugs - Jeanine Burkhardt

P.S. Feel Better - Soon!!!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Go Linsey! Congrats on the feature in RH!
Loved your description of who had used the scissors...that described my Mamaw exactly.
Great idea for the platters and it looks so pretty.
Love Calpernia/Cow-pernia! haha I did a deer head in my sewing room the same way. It always makes me smile!
Sophie and Bruce are laying in the sun right now, too. Doesn't it feel wonderful today?

beth said...

Oh goodness! So very sorry you and your husband are sick on V day. I've shared strep throat with my better half many a time. Lucky for us, we have not had it for quite some time. Maybe it's that we are too old and crusty to have it now-:-/ Love reading your blog- sounds a lot like me and my adventures at goodwill. Our decor is much the same as well. Thanks too for accepting my friend request on good old FB- try to rest, drink plenty of fluids and enjoy the rest of your day! Blessings~
Beth in Indiana

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm so sorry you and your hubby are sick...I wish you well soon. This bug sure has made the rounds! Great post though! I love seeing your new treasures and finds. I LOVE the wire rack and those precious sewing scissors...love everything actually! And I'm so excited to hear you are featured in the magazine. I have to pick up a copy. Good for you!

Happy Valentine's Day!

XO,
Jane

Kim said...

Hi Linsey, sorry you and your husband feel so crappy with strept. It certainly can be very painful..Atleast it made sit back and catch your breath and do some stuff for your own home. Just love the drying rack from your mother in-law, looks perfect where you have it.And the wire rack with the platters in it is brilliant and looks PERFECT on that wall...And such a coincidence, I do exactly the same as you when I buy something real old (like your pic of the old man, and story of an old womans hands) I always think of where my old item has been. When I am done daydreaming about, I have a whole story. LOVE daydreaming.. And your hutch,..BEAUTIFUL filled with WHITE<3..I have very much enjoyed your blog today, take it easy, and get better..HAPPY VALENTINES DAY :0)

Ruby and Arthur said...

I love what you said about your dog. They do make the best listerners, don't they? Blessings, Jean

Ron said...

Loved your blog post today. Congrats on the magazine feature. Kudos! Get well, Linsey!

Art and Sand said...

So much eye candy. As I scrolled through, I thought "oh, I love that - my favorite" and then I saw the next pic and then the next.

Thanks so much for sharing and hope you feel better. I haven't had strep for years, but when I did, it leveled me.

chateau chic said...

I saw your blog feature in Romantic Homes. Way to go!!
Looks like you've had some great fun playing around your home while you've been sick. Your vignettes look wonderful...so much inspiration.
Mary Alice

Unknown said...

Everything is just lovely. I love your home. I hope you all feel better soon~strep is the worst!!

Anonymous said...

I love all your creative ways to display your treasures! Beautiful!! Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

love all your vintage stuff. I bought the same short cup rack and was regretting it until I saw you put yours on a shelf. Love the idea. thanks for sharing.

Heirloom treasures said...

what lovely vignettes,I so enjoyed this post today. I love bottles and jars too. x

Rita said...

congrats on being featured in RH. too bad we do not get that magazine in italy.
and i so love your vignettes with all your treasures.your collection of old frames is simply g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s. and your white ironstone is to die for.
rita

Colleen said...

New to your blog. Love your farmstyle home! When I hear someone say strep throat, I can't help but share with them the importance of being diagnosed correctly and treated with the right medication. So many people think that strep throat is just a bad sore throat and never realize how serious it can be. In 1993 my precious 2 year old nephew became sick on a Sunday so his mother took him to the ER. The doctor saw that he had a red throat but did not test for strep therefore sent him home with a mild antibiotic. During the night he was still running fever but there was nothing alarming. Still his mother knew she was taking him to his pediatrician as soon as the office opened. As they drove, my nephew was crying and complaining that his head was hurting. Immediately upon walking into the doctor's office, he collapsed. The doctor grabbed him and ran across the street to the ER. Life support, tubes, frantic measures... flown to another hospital, tests, prayers, begging. The following morning life support was removed and our sweet baby was gone due to STREP THROAT. The infection spread to his brain causing meningitis and took his life in a matter of hours. When we were told it was Strep A, we were so devastated because in 1990 I lost my baby daughter to Strep B. My in-laws buried two grandchildren because of Strep infections. Not telling you this to scare you but not sharing makes his death meaningless. Hope that makes sense. I know you and your husband did see the doctor so you may already know the seriousness. I so wish that ER doctor would have taken the time to test for strep and prescribed the right medication. Would have made a huge difference.

Anne said...

Congratulations again on your feature :-)
Hope you are feeling better soon!Love all of your vignettes!Your white ironstone is so dreamy!Love your cow in that frame ...so cute!
xx
Anne

Pamela said...

Love it all Lins! hope that you are feeling better but so sorry little Payton now is under the weather. Thanx for partying at my place!:)

Sherry at The Rusty Pearl said...

I love everything and Love the music i am sitting here listening too as I am looking at your blog. Love the playlist that you have .. HUGS and loved todays blog too ............... Love all the ideas and the sweet blogger who hosted .. .HUGS

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

I'm late to say congratulations on your feature in Romantic Homes! I looked for it at my local market this week, but it wasn't on the shelf there-boo!
I love your whole post here. I got one of my little lambs out the other day too. I'm happy to admit I never think I'm tough enough to take care of myself without God. I'd truly be sunk.
Your Shadow girl looks so sweet! Right at this moment I can hardly imagine anything that sounds better than laying in a sunny patch on a soft rug :)
Lastly, I'm loving your playlist! Patty Griffin tears my heart out (in the nicest way possible-haha)
I'm heading over to Cowgirl Up-have a good week!

Jeanette

Cottage and Broome said...

Linsey, Congrats on being in one of my favorite magazines!!! So nice to have a bloggers friend featured.
Thanks for hosting again this week, Laura

Revi said...

Kudos, girl! Your style is great, and you deserve it. :) Love this post.
-Revi

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

I love all your styling! And congratulations on the magazine!!!
Jamie ~ Better With Age

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...